greek-beaches.info – Updated February, 2014
Finding Hotels on the Greek Islands
As you can tell from the comments below, I get more questions on hotels than any other topic. From late June to early September islands can packed and hotels full. Book early.
- hotelscombined.com/Greece is the best website for finding hotels in Greece.
- The popular islands get fully booked in the summer months. Try to book hotels at least 2 or 3 months in advance. In the last decade Greece has gone from a popular summer vacation destination to a very very popular summer vacation destination. Every year it gets harder to find hotels by just showing up and hoping for the best.
- The larger your group the farther in advance you should book. A single backpacker might able to find a hotel in Corfu with little notice. A family of 5 will have a very hard time if they haven’t booked well in advance.
- For many islands you don’t need to book in advance for travel outside of July and August. When you arrive on the ferry there will likely be a handful of hotel owners waiting for you. This works well for single or couple backpackers. Not so well for families, groups, or luxury travelers looking for the best hotels.
- Santorini – Book hotels well in advance for June to September
- Athens – Book hotels well in advance for April to October
- Mykonos, Rhodes, Corfu, Crete – Book hotels well in advance for late June until early September
- Naxos, Paros, Milos, Lesvos, Samos, Chios, Kefalonia – Book hotels well in advance for July and August
I hope that helps. Good luck.
The 15 Best Beaches in Greece
It’s difficult to choose the best beaches in Greece. What’s the best beach for kids? What’s the best beach for swimming? What’s the best beach for partying?
Everyone is looking for a great beach, but they all have different criteria. Add to that the fact that many islands have upwards of 20 different beaches.
Here are my personal favorites.
Q. What are the best beaches for kids in Greece?
Agios Gordios Beach on Naxos is wonderful for kids. It’s a short walk from the island’s wonderful main town and port. A shallow shelf extends well out into the sea and the calm protected waters are perfect for children. Many places to eat and stay are in the immediate area. There are several other (quieter) beaches on Naxos that are also great for kids. As you move south away from the main town the beaches grow quieter and less developed – though almost all of them have at least 1 or 2 tavernas. The nearby islands of Paros and Antiparos have many kid-friendly beaches.
Q. What is the best beach for partying?
Paradise Beach on Mykonos is not for everyone. The category was Party Beach and this defines Paradise. Water sports, young people, sand, sun, and drinks wherever you look. Punda Beach on Paros has an equally established reputation for partying.
Q. What is the best beach for quiet and solitude (on a popular island)?
Ambelas Beach, Paros is fantastic. There are quieter beaches on less popular islands, but considering it’s on Paros, Ambelas is downright tranquil. There are enough restaurants and hotels in the area so you don’t feel totally isolated. Visit outside of July and August and you could have the beach to yourself.
Q. What is the best beach close to Athens?
Vouligmeni Beach is great for swimming and less than an hour from Athens. It can get very busy on the weekend but if you’re stuck in the heat of Athens you won’t complain once you’re here.
Q. When is the best time to visit Greece?
Late May to Early October are perfect beach weather everywhere in Greece. July and August are the hottest and busiest months. June and September are nearly perfect with one small difference between them being that the sea is warmer in the fall while the countryside is greener in spring. Early May and Late October can still see warm weather and sunny days but one should be prepared for the possibility rain and cloud – and bring a sweater for coolish nights. On the southern coast of Crete it’s not unheard of to be swimming into the first weeks of November.